Friday, October 16, 2009

Obama pays Aggieland a visit...

It's not all that unusual for this town to have a president (or two) visit. It is just usually one that has the last name of "Bush." George H has his Presidential Library here on A&M's campus and George W has visited often. Today, under the invitation of George H, President Obama arrived. It was for a forum supporting volunteerism.

Now, Geoff is pretty much non-political, and I tend to lean to the far right. He was not my choice for President and I disagree with most of the things he says/wants/does. However, it is not very often you get the chance to see a sitting President speak...so, when the chance arose for a press pass through our magazine, I told Geoff to jump on it. Just another bonus for owning your own magazine!

The speech aired on tv here and it was a very good one. Everyone here loves George H and another local hero, Robert Gates (former A&M President and current Sec. of Defense) made a surprise appearance.
After the forum was over, I loaded the girls up into the car to pick Geoff up and we parked out at the George Bush Library to watch Marine 1 take off. The president was heading back to Houston to meet up with Air Force 1. They had 5 helicopters take off, so no one knew which one he was on. But it was a pretty cool site nonetheless.

No comments: